Sunday, January 28, 2007

ClockBuilding not TimeTelling

'Built to Last' speaks of how to build a visionary organization, one that will stand the test of time, that will persist through trial, and permanently etch itself on upon the fabric of time. Such an organization would focus not on profits, not on the moment, but on the values that it stands for. Mr Charles Ng gave the inspiring lecture, and asked the prompting question:

"What do you stand for?"

This is a question all should consider. If one day you were to pass on, and be packed up in a little (midget) coffin box (Sylvia Plath yet again...), what would everybody remember you for. And I pondered, and mused, and jotted down three values - a little peek into what I stand for, and a further understanding of who I am (for those who haven't known me yet):

1) Mugger/Diligence

Academic excellence would be what people would remember me for. The many awards, the crowded shelfs paced with certificates and plaques, the tray on Founder's Day. Diligence, and simply pure hard work - I am no genius, just a person who's willing to sacrifice a little time and energy. But (ironically, some may think), I would not want to be remembered for such a (trivial, might I say) thing.

2) Listener cum friend
I've told many people that I'm akin to a rubbish bin, just dump your sorrows, your concerns and your struggles upon me. It's a great emotional burden sometimes, but it's worthwhile helping a friend in need. I guess listening is all part of that labor of love that Christ has called every believer to. Everyone needs to pour out their soul, to empty themselves and examine what remains, to be broken, and a listener helps. Of course, we listeners need our listeners as well :)

3) Optimism -the brighter side
Many have commented that I'm a rather optimistic individual - albeit rather annoying at it. the uncanny ability to have hope in times of hopelessness (though hope is the first step to disappointment - as Kenneth points out). The ability to see light in the dark. Just trust God. It's so simple, yet so hard to believe. And I'm starting to struggle a little myself...

And so, these are the clocks I've decided to build throughout my life, hopefully Christ will be exemplified through them, and the world will see Him through me. Only Him, not me.


No comments: