Sunday, February 25, 2007

Somewhere Over the Rainbow



Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby

...

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?


Dreams - that subconscious realm within every one of us - perhaps the window into our truest desires, our thoughts, our feelings, our experiences. I can't remember many dreams, but those that I have, I treasure up and relieve over and over. Good dreams. Thank God I have lots of them. Some too good to be true, some too absurd to be taken seriously, some so close yet so far.

And they used to torment me - nightmares - the supernatural - but I prayed - and God took care of me. Oh those times of innocent faith, simple childlikeness, bring me back again Lord. Help me relieve those days when every night a little child would come to you pleading for you to intervene in his dreams. When he would pray that you would guard the doors to his mind, fighting the evil ones off with the sword and shield - O the days when he saw you so mighty, so great, like a warrior prepared for battle.

And I recall that old lady, with her hand strumming away at the guitar, striking the guitar with a frail thump of her knuckles, every rattle, every repetition - a painful reminder of her state of mind. She strummed helplessly, when I held back, she beckoned again, I looked into her writhing eyes, smiled, and wanted to help, but only God could save a broken life.

And the songs, and the guitar, and the simple tunes to our Lord, echoing through the nursing home, bringing cheer - hopefully filling the empty hearts. There was joy, but it was coupled by a hollow sense of sorrow as well. I for one had the honor to sing, to smile, O Lord restore to me joy again.

And in the darkness of the night, stumbling upon a soul that had lost all faith, I tried to rekindle, I tried to help him reconsider, I prayed for him, but the call ended with a rushed exit - with that boys' parents fuming in the background. I pray God will open his heart, I pray God will open our hearts, I pray that God will come and live in everyone once again. He said his prayers were unanswered - and lost faith. O Lord, answer him please.

And me, recently, lost and not knowing where to go. Haven't heard God clearly for a long time, and still here on the computer lamenting this apparently lostness. You bad boy, go spend more time with your Father, He wants to speak to you, and here you are, distracted by the things of life, captivated by the gifts rather than the giver, not knowing how to delight in Him, not knowing what He's saying...why? I wish to be back with you again Father - not only back, but closer than before...

Dreams hardly come true though. But we always wish they did....sigh.

No comments: