Friday, December 01, 2006

What If?

Funny how we love to think back on life, and question the possible paths we might have taken, to ponder and let the imagination entertain itself with thoughts of how things might have been - thoughts of fantasy. Oh! What joy the mind finds in fantasy! Fantasy - where anything is possible, where nothing is impossible, where there are endless boundaries! And sometimes I do find myself in such a 'What if' mood as well.

I often wonder, and ponder, especially after every annual band concert, the possibility of myself joining the band in Sec 1, had it not been for the Boys' Brigade. A little far-fetched, but entirely possible - musical passion would have definitely drove me to join. And had that happened, of all instruments, I would pick the clarinet to play. The clarinet, mellow, not too heavy, woodwind, elegance, sigh. Such thoughts (of fantasy) are what occupy the mind, whenever I witness any band before me.

And yet I know for sure, it wouldn't have happened, God had other plans, higher and greater plans, and other ways of utilizing that passion for music. Having been led by God, here I am in the BB, and well enjoying it, and learning so much from it.

Surely God knew best, but still there remains a lingering desire in the soul, fufilled (or partially so) by spells of fantasizing - sadly. And reality will always be at opposites with one's desires (or most of the time). I was mesmerized today, and will continue to be in the years to come. Perhaps, the music wasn't the best, but the fact that it struck a chord with the heart was what mattered, and that made the difference.

Maybe one day...someday, the dreams will come true. But till then, we'll keep on living, joyfully, the life the God has given us. one can't do everything, and there is a place and purpose for every individual, accepting our place, and fufilling all the God has planned, would probably be the best way to live life :)

No comments: